Skip to page body Home About Us Garbage and Recycling NEAT Program Code Compliance

Landlord-Tenant Law 

If you rent your home or apartment, you and your landlord fall under the regulations found within the Washington State Residential Landlord-Tenant Act.  Understanding your rights and responsibilities as a renter and a landlord can help resolve problems and avoid potential legal involvement.


For informational recordings on residential landlord-tenant matters, call the State Attorney General's Office Consumerline at 1-800-692-5082, option 8.


City of Longview response to a landlord that fails to correct code violations

The city will respond and inspect health and safety complaints made by tenants, but must follow the established process for dealing with landlord-tenant code complaints.  This process is defined as follows:


  • If a tenant has concerns about the electrical, plumbing or structure issues in the unit they rent, the tenant needs to identify the problems and inform his or her landlord, in writing, so there is a record.

  • Once his or her landlord has been informed, the appropriate access and time needs to be allowed for the landlord to make correction of legitimate problems.

  • If the landlord does not respond or make the required correction(s) to the identified problems in a timely manner, this is the point in time when the tenant should complete a complaint form (link attached below) and submit it to the Community Development Department with a copy of the written list of the health and safety concerns that were previously provided to the landlord.

  • The appropriate inspector will contact the landlord and the tenant to arrange for an inspection of the alleged code violation(s).

  • Once the inspection of the tenant's list of health and safety concerns is completed, if it is discovered that there are code violations, a list of corrections will be provided to the landlord with an established timeframe to make the corrections.

  • Complaint-concern form
  • Citizen complaint process

Walk in or mail your complaints to:

        City of Longview

        Department of Community Development

        1525 Broadway

        Longview, WA 98632


Other Resources and Contacts

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Download Acrobat Reader Download Flash Player Download QuickTime Download Windows Media Player Download Microsoft Silverlight Download Word Viewer Download Excel Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer
Last updated: 7/16/2015 8:33:34 AM