Why is placement of my containers so important?
Cart placement is important. The right cart in the right place ensures the collection trucks can maneuver in and out of areas quickly and safely. The mechanical arms on the collection trucks need to have an unobstructed access to both your garbage and recycling containers. Correct cart placement also helps reduce the time trucks spend idling, saving fuel.
How should my containers be set out?
Remember these three steps when setting your container(s) out for collection (see photo):
- Park it near the curb, at the curb or at the road/alley edge
- Point it with the handles facing your home
- Give it space, at least two (2) feet clearance on all sides
Are there any things I should be aware of when setting my containers out?
Here are some helpful tips to remember when setting your cart(s) out for collection:
- Watch for overhead obstructions such as trees, phone or cable wires, and basketball hoops
- Leave sidewalks and bike lanes unobstructed where possible. It helps to place your container(s) level with the roadway
Helpful Dos and Don’ts
Check out these other things to remember regarding your garbage and recycling cart:
- Have your containers out either the night before collection or by 7 a.m. the morning of collection.
- Remove your containers from the curb or alley by 7 p.m., or sooner, on collection day.
- Have your containers a minimum of ten feet away from any parked vehicles or other obstacles.
- If your garbage or recycling container was missed on collection day, go to Report a Missed Collection and request a pick up, or contact Waste Control directly at 360-425-4302. If the request is made prior to 3 p.m. on the day of collection, Waste Control will return on the same day. If the request is made after 3 p.m. on the day of collection, Waste Control will return the following day.
- If your garbage or recycling container was is missing or damaged, go to Report a Damaged or Missing Container and request a new container or repair for a damaged container, or contact Waste Control directly at 360-425-4302.
- Put ashes in your garbage cart, as this can cause your cart to catch fire and melt.
- Place recyclables into your garbage container. To know what is recyclable, go to Recycle list Yes-No [PDF] or request a recycling brochure at Request a Recycling Brochure.
- Place excess garbage or unwanted materials next to your garbage container. Either contact Waste Control at 360-425-4302 for a special pick up for a nominal fee, or bring the materials to the Waste Control Transfer Station.
- Leave your containers out at the curb or in the alley all the time. This may result in theft or illegal dumping into your containers. You are responsible for the contents found in your containers.
- Put household hazardous materials in your garbage or recycling containers. Bring these materials to the Household Hazardous Facility at Waste Control every Tuesday and Saturday, from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m., at no charge.
Other Resources and Contacts