Welcome to the
City of Longview's Code Compliance Division
It is the mission of the Code Compliance Division of the Department of Community Development and Code Compliance to apply the civil laws of the City of Longview relating to nuisance abatement in an impartial, professional and respectful manner in an effort to obtain voluntary compliance, and preserve the public peace, health, safety and welfare.
We help maintain or improve the quality of our community by:
Administering a fair and unbiased enforcement program to correct violations of municipal codes and land use requirements.
Working with residents, neighborhood associations, public service agencies and other City of Longview departments to:
- Empower community self-help programs
- Develop public outreach programs
- Establish community priorities for the enforcement program
Code Compliance is administered by the following:
The Code Compliance Division enforces various regulations, including:
- Conditions of an existing structure that constitutes a clear and present danger to the public
- Building Code violations (building, plumbing, electrical, mechanical, etc.) including construction or change of occupancy without permits
- Longview Property Maintenance Code (minimum standards for safe and sanitary housing)
- Zoning Ordinance requirements for structures (such as use, location, configuration and size) and land use requirements
- Overgrown vegetation, hazardous weeds on private, developed properties
- Swimming pool fences
- Signs, including signs in the public right-of-way, failure to have required permits, illegal inflatable displays and balloons
- Inoperable vehicles on private property
- Blight on private and public properties (discarded furniture, car parts, appliances, etc.)
- Illegal dumping
NEW Code Compliance Program Brochure
In 2011, the Longview Code Enforcement Division issued notices for over 1,175 violations within the Longview city limits. In addition to possibly affecting neighboring property values, these violations can also affect the appearance of our community. In an effort to keep our residents up to date, we have put a brochure together that not only lists the top 10 code violations, but other common violations as well, such as exterior wall and roof violations, window violations and obscured public facilities. View the Code Compliance Program - Our Top 10 Violations and How To Avoid Them online or use the Feedback link to request a copy.
Need more information?
In an effort to serve you better, we have compiled common information that residents often require plus created an easy way for you to communicate with us. If you do not find what you are looking for, go ahead, ask a question, request a service, or give us some feedback. We are here to serve you!
Code Compliance Division
Code Compliance responds to citizens’ concerns about City code complaints, which include land use and property maintenance and nuisance issue. In addition to inspecting and notifying property owners of non-compliance with City codes, staff provides information to assist property owners in resolving compliance issues.
For more information specific to Code Compliance, call 360-442-5093 or send us an email and your inquiry will be forwarded to the appropriate department official.